Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Thanks, Sister Dalton, for your counsel to fathers

First, Sister Dalton, thanks! We don’t often have sisters in conference speak directly to fathers. I know my daughters are not my possession. But I know they are my daughters, on loan from our Father in Heaven, and I’d like to do what I can to help them find their way home again.

Thanks for continuing to think about how our daughters can find their way home, and how we can help them succeed in developing into the women we hope that they will be: strong, faithful and virtuous, confident that God loves them and confident in His plan for their happiness.

Thanks for reminding me to love my wife. I always like getting a challenge that is easy to meet.

And thanks for challenging me to model virtue in my own life, confirming that it is not just a value for young women, but also for their fathers.

I’m happy to report I have never had to go looking for any of my daughters because they didn’t come home on time. (Of course, the youngest is only 11, so I suppose there’s still time for me to have that experience!) ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Not sure I totally agree with one commit you made. They (children) are not on loan but by the sealing powers they now belong to you. Yes everything thing belongs to God but he does allow us our families forever. I think 'on load' makes the relationship sound cheap and unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct, of course that the sealing power binds us together. But I also acknowledge that my wife and I "co-parent" our daughters and sons with our Heavenly Father. It is a stewardship from Him just as many things are. And our children are free agents and will ultimately make their own choices in life, just as they are meant to. While we may influence their choices, ultimately they will decide whether they return home or not.

    ReplyDelete