Monday, March 18, 2013

Women in the church -- the discussion comes to Detroit

This article appears on the front page of today's Detroit Free Press:

Mormon mothers focus on family, explore more options

Dr. Anna Wilson, 29, feeds son Ammon as husband Jim Wilson, 28, makes brownies in the kitchen of their Trenton home. Anna Wilson came to the U.S. from Russia 11 years ago. She joined the Mormon Church in 2006. / Photos by Ryan Garza/Detroit Free Press
It opens talking with Anna Wilson, a convert to the LDS church, a resident in radiology at a local hospital, and a mom. The article talks about traditional and less traditional roles for women in the church. When queried about the statements in The Family: A Proclamation to the World about roles of mothers and fathers, the story reports,

Wilson said she believes "there's nothing more important than raising a family, raising children in the church, in the Gospel." But the 29-year-old Mormon convert decided to work as a doctor after extensive prayers and advice from others in the church.

"It was clear to me that I was to continue with residency," Wilson said. "I need to become a physician. ... (Working now) will be a small sacrifice for the potential good that I can do for people around me."


Can I say how impressed I am with Sister Wilson? I don't know her personally, but I wish I did. Here she speaks openly with a reporter about her spiritual process in making important life decisions. Good for her!

The article quotes several other local members -- some who are more conservative and others who are not -- and also quotes a few from far away about not only family roles, but the role of women in the church, including the Wear Pants to Church effort.

The coverage is timely. The Book of Mormon musical is in town. Our stake president was interviewed for a story which appeared a week ago.

I'm grateful for the exposure. The Free Press has been pretty good to the chuch over the years; it reports fairly and in a balanced way which I appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment